Monday, November 30, 2009
Ok, so the arms are finished and now only the feet are left. I'm not going to sculpt the legs as he will have pants on him. Maybe I just make something real quick like bumps and a bit damage in cause the pants will be torn, which I think I'll do.
Saturday, November 28, 2009
Friday, November 27, 2009
EDIT: I may be finished with the sculpt, I dunno. I'll take a break and see if there's something more that needs to be done.
This is how far I've come with the zombie sculpt so far. Just keeping on chugging on. I plan on more damages areas, just haven't figured out how to do them yet.
Thursday, November 26, 2009
By this point I think the entire set is completely textured, that is of course unless I find something that's wrong, get suggestions or I just add stuff and change my mind about something.
This is the last update for today though. Now I'm gonna eat chips and watch some entertainment!
I think I'm pretty much finished with the textures for the shed. I'm using 4 different tree textures which I took to Photoshop and color corrected so they have similar color, with the exception of the bigger support pieces.
Next will be finishing up the entire scene with textures then on to creating a zombie character.
The UV unwrapping is a bit tedious, not at all difficult thanks to UVLayout (thank god for that application) but not so much fun.
Anyway, just posting a update on the process and potential wood texture. I will of course have more than just this one but just to give an example.
EDIT: Ok, the unwrapping is complete for the shed (finally, that was ... not fun. -_^). Now to the actual texturing of the boards.
Instead of creating a new post I'll just update this one with a new image.
Monday, November 23, 2009
Over at 3D Buzz there's a unofficial contest just for fun which I entered just to practice my skills with a deadline. I kinda need to see how I perform under pressure, so I thought this would be a nice challenge. It started the 17th November and the due date is 7th December, I joined today. So I did lose 6 days but there's still a lot of time left, about 2 weeks.
This is what I've made today. I think I might finish all the modeling today, what's missing are some debris on the ground. Other than that there's a character I will work on, a zombie and maybe some severed heads and such.
Ok, I think this is a wrap unless someone suggestions something or if something is off. I don't know what else to do on this piece with my current knowledge and I don't wanna spend a whole lot time on it. Just wanted to try out the fur as I wanted to do that for a long time, and now I have.
PS. I think I know what causes the 'non soft' look on the fur. It's not Mental Ray but it's the Physical sun. When I added a few normal lights and tweaked the sun settings I did get a softer look. But in the end it turned out I did like the more hardened look. ^_^
However, I did add two other lights to get a bit softer touch to it, not much, it's rather felt than seen.
Friday, November 20, 2009
I've added a few things to the teddy bear, like eyes, a bow tie and a cord on top of his head. I think 95% of the tweaking and modeling is done (I will make it a bit non-symmetrical). I currently am mainly concerned to make it look cuddly and soft, currently it doesn't look like that.
I noticed that if I use Mental Ray it gets this 'hard' look while if I render with Maya Software it gets more of that soft look (look at the previews post). If I don't find a way with Mental Ray I will need to combine them as I want Mental Ray for the eyes (dielectric material), the cord and the bow tie.
But anyways I need to do more tweaking.
PS. I finished the Halloween contest image a few days ago. Forgot to upload it here. Nothing special, I'm just glad it's over.
Thursday, November 19, 2009
That's right, the title says it all. Once upon a time I did a model wanting to create a teddy bear, well I never finished it. So I re-did the everything and added fur. This is the WIP stage so far. I wanna see how far I can get this to look decent. I learned way way back when I did the other model that UV layout played a vital part of how the fur would be laid out. This time unwrapped the thing almost according to the real life teddy bear I have here with me, I just changed it a little bit as ease of unwrapping, not much but enough to make me happy.
Tuesday, November 17, 2009
I figured I'd throw in this image as well. Just a closeup on the bee itself. It's not the best image but I'm far from being able to do very good looking renders. I tweaked this image in Photoshop after render. Not much to say, but I'm glad this is over so I can finish other projects. While I have cleared some projects up I will be studying lighting and rendering methods cause I badly need that.
Monday, November 16, 2009
I was playing and studying the dielectric material and caustics within Maya. Added some particles and a few fields. However, I totally forgot to map the displacement for the bubbles so they are static, when I realized I had forgotten it I was already too far in the rendering process. Basically what it would have done is the bubbles would change the shape a bit when going upwards.
Also, I didn't render from start to finish in one go. I stopped and rendered the next day, and too late I realized the bubbles actually changes places a bit. The rendering took several days for 400 frames, too long for me to redo and fix that. But it's something I'll keep in mind for the next time.
I basically forgot to bake out the particle animation which is why they changed places. A blunder I know. >.<