Hi there. I come to you with the announcement that my portfolio site (www.kuroto-robert.net) is down. The reason is that the server needs to be relocated and we haven't found a place to have at yet. We think we have a place (the server is not mine alone hence 'we') but it will take some time to get it up and running.
In the meantime, this blog will serve as a summary portfolio.
Tuesday, August 12, 2008
Thursday, August 7, 2008
Hi, a friend of mine showed me a program a couple of months ago which is called MapZone where you can create your own textures. This is a very good thing for me as I need to create my own for my 3D work but I never actually took time to learn it (didn't need any textures). But today I sat down and started to play around with the program and I see that it has lots of potential.
It is a procedural workflow, meaning you can go back in "time"/history and change things to get other results (the 3D application Houdini 9 also has a procedural workflow). This kind of workflow is very powerful.
Today I just learned the program and made a texture from a tutorial. Not much to show really as it is from a tutorial, but I wanted to do that anyway.
But the best thing is that MapZone is free too. That's some awesome stuff right there.
Well now, I'm gonna go back to eating my Ramen and chill while looking at some video tutorials where they create other textures from scratch.
PS. I'll give you these textures if you want to use them, they are not super high quality but if you can use them for anything that's great. I don't need any credit either as this was from a tutorial, I don't consider stuff like that genuine. Plus, I don't even know if I did everything correctly as the tutorial got a bit sketchy at the end.
I'll add a normal map too.
Tuesday, August 5, 2008
This is a lock appliance I'm doing for a friend (don't know if it's ready yet). He gave me specific measurements (down to the millimeter, even halves of millimeters) and I modeled it out in Maya. He had measurements up to 50-60mm and that was too big for the standard grid size, so I took everything and divided it by 2. Then I could divide the grid if I wanted and have the specific units, as well as the Channel Box would display the correct numbers.
Took one whole night to model this thing out, then I just tweaked some edges and the overall wireflow. Later on, after getting some sleep, I slapped on a silver shader and rendered out with Mental Ray.
However, it doesn't end there. I rendered out two images, one grainy and one clean, then I comped and tweaked them in Photoshop. Lastly I took wireframe shots and comped them into the shots as well.