Pages

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Male character update







So, I have started to watch the 3D Buzz ADP (Advanced Digital Production) texturing videos and have started to texture this guy. This is a the very base, I will look into incorporating real skin as well, this is in fact my next step.
Just to throw it out there, I'm looking more for a stylized character than a realistic one. I cannot yet tackle a realistic look as I need more to learn. But I feel confident I can get it to look the way I want it, and besides, that is how I wanted this guy to look like from the very beginning. I like the stylized looks.

I'm going to explain the steps I took to get this far.
NOTE: There are seems and some other discrepancies I know, I will fix them so don't worry.

After the whole model was complete in Maya I brought it over to ZBrush and started to create displacement sculpting. Meaning I added more volume and details to make it stand out wherever I wanted, like making the muscles bigger or creating nipples and belly button. However, I didn't create a belly button for the simple reason, it will never show. :) Excess detail is just a waste of memory. I might even think of deleting the toenails as well as they won't show either.

Well then, once the displacement sculpting was done I started to do some more fine details (like pores, wrinkles and stuff). These will be the bump map later on.
Then I exported this displacement map and fine details. I also created a 'feature map' from the displacement map and from the fine details map I created 'cavity map'. This is a function inside ZBrush and when these two are combined in Photoshop along with a base color it resembles a bit Ambient Occlusion. However, I think I'll later on bake AO into the texture anyway. I'll have to see how the real skin will look first.

Then I just went into Photoshop and started to paint some dark areas and lighter areas all over the body along with some very suddle change in color of the skin.

Well, that's that. I'll post more updates as this progress.
Cheers!

No comments: